Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | By: Unknown

Our quote of the day courtesy of John Q Public

Quote for the Day:
Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position.
Bertrand Russell British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

7 people gave us their .02 cents:

Beth said...

Here, here! I'm trying my damnedest to raise my without such bull, but one can only hope. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if he questions his teachers, but he sure doesn't mind questioning me!

existentialist said...

Hi, I noticed you got referred to my blog through your blog.
Interesting quote.
I have heard of Bertrand Russell. What else is he famous for?

Unknown said...

lol queen..kids that question are good..until they turn on you as adolescents..

Unknown said...

google him olympia..best way to find out..

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of passive anything.

Chick

John Q. Public esq. said...

My name in headlines! and I dont have to duck reporters for a change, how cool! You make me blush, dear lady!

?....He is also famous for being Bertrand Russell, read a few of his books you'll never look at things the same way. lol

dusty, I'll see you in court!

JQP esq.

Cali Thais said...

Damn straight about the skepticism of passive acceptance of teacher's wisdom.

Take for instance Cambodia where students in classrooms never raise their hands to ask questions, say they understand when they have no clue what your saying, and are only accustomed to repeating words as a group.

Who was their leader for the last twenty years? Oh yeah, the Khmer Rouge and that one guy... yes, Pol Pot.

Teaching in cambodia is the most relevant example of this quote I can offer. They are just starting to understand the idea of freedom.